Monday, December 15, 2008

Module 1 - Telnet task

What the? I had never heard of Telnet before, so I was a little confused by this exercise initially. But, as a faithful following student I did as instructed and searched for telnet for mac. I found a telnet client and downloaded, but I hadn't read the instructions properly so wasn't sure exactly how this little window was meant to work.

I then did another search for 'telnet for mac' and found that wikihow gave very simple instructions on how to use Terminal through the applications folder on my mac. Too easy!

Being a little behind has benefited me in this case because I read through the discussion board on webct where Ursuli explained that I needed to type 'telnet' then a space, then the library address.

The rest was pretty simple. I did however have to type a keyword of "The" in the hope that this would bring up a result for a Bennahum book. Got lucky and found two. Phew!

For some reason the interface of this telnet window reminds me of my own local library computer when I was at school. Perhaps it was a similar internet protocol to connect to the internal library server. I never knew how advanced I was being!

No comments: